Tuesday 11 October 2011

Draw, Draw, Draw

My undergraduate was more in communication studies and media art so I was in no way required to draw a lot. I took one drawing class for my minor and thats it. So I am not a taught drawer. For the most part I taught myself how to draw.

What I realized here during my drawing classes and through out my life that the more practice the better at drawing I will become. Drawing from a live model is especially hard for me because I never really had to draw one.

Here are steps I realized I should do to achieve a better drawing:
  1. Look more at what you are drawing than on the paper
  2. Don't start from the head a go down measurements will be wrong pinpoint the important parts first
  3. Experiment with mediums mixing them may give a better image
 These two drawing on the left and right where from the first drawing lesson. I struggled with these badly.
I'm usually very slow at drawing and like to spend time on what I draw. It was very challenging to draw something new for me and in such a short time. 

As the week went on and I practice more I can't say drawing people has become easy but I'm getting there slowly. At least now I can sort of get the feel of the person's movement. 

These two drawing were done the week after the two drawings above. These were given more time to draw them in, however then there is still a lot of improvement from the quick sketches above.

I didn't put all of my old sketches but there are a lot that are much worse than those above. What I think I improved in greatly is proportionality. Also now I can better capture the pose of a person.

 No doubt I still have a lot more room to improve in. I'll observe more in order to draw more.

I will not post all my drawings in the future. I will select a few like I did now and write about what I have learnt. By the end of the class I will have a larger collection of drawings which I will form in a slide show and post it on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment