Thursday 6 October 2011

Inspiration - Mary and Max


I just finished watching this movie for the first time. What I really liked about the plot of the story that it is a true story. It made me feel more of a connection with the characters. This made me think about how when coming up with a story it does not have to be always out of the box. It can simply be an experience someone has passed through. This triggered some self reflection.

Another thing I really liked about the animation is the tone and colors they decided to make it in. The gloomy browns and a few reds matches the sad story. I'm more used to seeing animations with bright color and all. This got me thinking that there are other options out there.

One thing I realized about myself in the end of the movie is that I am not a big fan of unhappy endings. It got me thinking would the story have the same impact if they had changed the ending to be more cheerful? Here I realized it should not always be about what I like and enjoy but rather what would best send the message I want to in the movie.

With these points in mind the way I am thinking about my short movies has changed. While thinking about my short film funny and unrealistic seemed like the option I always wanted to go this has opened my eye to self reflection and keeping the story real as a method of choosing a plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment